Thursday, July 14, 2011

She Got Married, Too: Carrie


I love reading about other couples. I love getting a
sneak peak into their lives and seeing how they make their situation work. Some would say that I'm nosy. Which I'm fine with. Because enough people were open enough to take me up on this guest poster series and answer with honesty, heart, and humor.
Enjoy :)





Names: Carrie (and Kurt)

Ages: Kurt and I both just celebrated our birthdays within the last month! He just turned 23 and I totally had a weird I’m-dating-someone-waaay-older-than-me moment as if I’m in still in high school and he’s a hot substitute teacher who totally fell for me (Scandal, anyone?)! Only I forget I’m 22. Seriously? Where did 17 go?


We live in: Hot and sunny Southwest Florida!


Do you blog? (Where can we find you?) About what?

I (Carrie) blog at http://www.20-somethinghomemaker.blogspot.com/ as a – wait for it- 20-something Homemaker! I just recently quit my job to devote 100% of my time and efforts to my home and family. My current blog documents that journey! Baking, crafting, saving money, rocking DVR and sleeping in (only sometimes!) are just a few topics I cover over at my blog.


What do YOU do?
Home make

What does HE do?

Kurt is currently a FedEx package handler/ delivery driver. He commutes almost an hour every morning to his route where he delivers to crazy huge places including homes owned by Kevin Bacon and John Travolta! Granted, they’re never there. And if they are, he’d never know as they have butlers who handle everything. But it’s still cool!

In the future, Kurt wants to return to school to pursue a degree in law.


How long have you been married?

We got married on a beautiful sunny day in June of 2009. So it’s been about a year and ten months! Just this month we’ve actually been married for as long as we had dated (before we married). It’s CRAZY how different we are and how much we’ve grown since we started dating, and even since we married!! But it’s wonderful and rewarding to see!

What holds the two of you together?

We were both incredibly and humbly blessed to come from married homes. My parents have been married almost 40 years, and they’ve been through it all in that time. Seeing my parents struggle relationally, financially and emotionally growing up was hard, but seeing them stay committed to one another for the sake of love taught me so much about marriage. Though I can’t speak for Kurt, I believe our strong commitment to marriage and to one another, along with our faith, are what keep us bound to one another.

What do you argue about the most?

Money, hands-down!! Kurt tends to be a free-spirit when it comes to finances and likes to spend on things like boxing classes, movies, golf rounds and other people, whereas I tend to be a penny-pincher and a money hoarder. Luckily we balance each other out pretty well and challenge the other to spend and save in an appropriate manner.

Do you have kids? If not, are you planning on them anytime soon?
No babies yet!! Call me Michelle Duggar, but I’m all about leaving the size of our family in the Lord’s hands (though the Duggar resemblance stops about right there). Unfortunately, Kurt and I have learned over the last year that infertility is a very likely a problem for us. It’s been a hard pill to swallow, to say the least. But we also realize that, although we’d love to bear children of our own, we also have the incredible opportunity to adopt children who otherwise may not have a lot of great opportunities in life. This thought definitely excites us!!

What is your favorite way to spend a weekend together?

Vegging out on the couch over dinners while watching The Office, Lost, or old Saturday Night Live skits!


Who cooks the most?

It used to be Kurt until I discovered a crazy dinner planning service called e-mealz. Now I cook almost 100% of the time and I LOVE it!!


Who cleans the most?

Mwah!

What was the biggest shocker of married life?

I totally wasn’t expecting marriage to be this easy. It’s definitely hard, but it’s nothing compared to what it seemed the whole world over was making it out to sound like!!

Can we peek inside your home? Share some pictures!

Have you ever heard of Tumbleweed Tiny homes? They’re basically the world’s tiniest living spaces, evah! Well, our apartment is just about one step up from those.

What is the most difficult part of married life?

Coming to the realization that the way I treated my immediate family growing up would be the exact same way I’d treat my husband. And THEN realizing I’m wrong about a lot more than I used to think I was back then… Marriage is humbling and it hurts sometimes.

If you could give an engaged couple any advice (assuming they asked for it), what would it be?

Find a much older married couple whom you believe has a very good marriage and meet with them regularly to learn from their relationship. Call it marriage counseling, if you will. Your relationship doesn’t have to be broken in order to be fixed. This will help strengthen and challenge you as a couple and will give you TONS of support.



They ALSO Got Married!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...