Wednesday, June 15, 2011

She Got Married, Too: April


I love reading about other couples. I love getting a
sneak peak into their lives and seeing how they make their situation work. Some would say that I'm nosy. Which I'm fine with. Because enough people were open enough to take me up on this guest poster series and answer with honesty, heart, and humor.
Enjoy :)



{Please be prepared to fall in love with this girl. Her blog is easily in my top-five, check- every-day category...enjoy her post!}

Names: April & Jason Matthews


Ages: 24 & 25


We live in: Eugene, Oregon.


Do you blog? About what? Why yes indeed! My ADD-riddled writings are stashed at Two Matthews(ers).
I started writing when we went to live in Sweden for the fall-- and as it turns out, blogging is somewhat habit-forming.




What do YOU do? I graduated with a degree in sustainable architecture last summer, and now I’m working my tail off trying to get an internship with a local firm.


In my spare time, I am a volunteer social networker. I provide free services to clutter your facebook page, thumbs-up all your cat pictures, and solicit you to follow my blog.  


What does HE do? Jason gets paid by the University of Oregon to be a genius. (Oooh, he’s going to hate that I said that.)


(That’s right, smart and modest.)
(...I’m just digging myself in a hole here.)


But seriously, he has a 4.2 GPA in Physics (apparently that’s possible) and is getting his PhD in the fall. 


How long have you been married? We’ve been together for eight years total, and we'll celebrate our two-year wedding anniversary this July!


How did you meet? We admired each other from afar in high school, and finally started hanging out at the State Finals meet for track & field. It was the last week of his senior year-- he saw this as his last chance he had to "win my affections"-- and he went for it. I'm glad he did.
16 & 17 years old... yup. Definitely mature enough to choose our future life partners.
What do you argue about the most? The crazy words Jason tries to play on Scrabble. “Unprobe?!” Nnnno. That doesn’t even show up on Google.


Seriously, we’re pretty boring in the drama department. Most of our arguments are resolved pretty quickly, and I usually forget what they were about within a week. We disagree often, but I guess we just learned to expend more effort trying to understand the other person rather than trying to convince them of our own point.


Do you have kids? If not, are you planning on them anytime soon? No beebehs yet, but we're definitely looking forward to it. I want to get a good start on my career first, and start saving for a house. In the meantime, we’re really enjoying these years while we’re still just a family of two (and can stay up way past our bedtimes watching Battlestar Galactica marathons).
Sally the Soap!


No kids? Dogs? Cats? They count. Names? Our landlord doesn’t allow pets and it kills me inside every day. I NEED to mother things. It’s so bad that I stuck eyeball stickers on a bunch of our inanimate household objects, and named all our plants.


What is one thing about married life that took some adjusting or getting used to? I asked this question to Jason before I wrote anything, and he widened his eyes and said, "The SMELLLLL." What?!! Anyway, here's my (less random?) answer:


We initially thought that having an equal hand in housework meant sharing each duty. I bitterly washed the dishes a few days a week, and felt guilty for not doing it more. He bitterly cooked half our meals a few days a week, and felt guilty for not doing it more.


It took us forever to figure out that we make a perfect kitchen team:
I like cooking, and I’m pretty good at it. Jason, on the other hand rocks at doing the dishes. Ta da!


(I think he’s a sucker for choosing the dishwashing job. He thinks I’m a sucker for agreeing to cook dinner every night.) (Heh. Yeah right.)


What is your favorite date to go on together? Besides being The Obnoxiously Flirty Couple at the gym, we like to go to the card section at the grocery store and hand-deliver lots of sappy cards to each other. I highly recommend this.


Where do you see yourselves in five years? We will have three dogs, six rats, two cats, maybeh a baybeh, a pretty little house with 12 layers of different paint colors on the walls, and love our awesome planet-saving jobs. Stay tuned.



If you could give an engaged couple any advice (assuming they asked for it), what would it be? I give engaged people advice all the time, even when they don’t ask for it. It’s kind of bad.


When we were planning our wedding, I went D.I.Y. cuhhhRAZY. Once it boiled down to the final week,  the to-do list was completely out of control. I started feeling frantic about all our family and friends showing up, and witnessing my failure to complete all the planned projects.


Then I realized I was being completely delusional, because guests have no knowledge of your wedding to-do list. The things you finish? They'll see. The things you don't finish? They'll have no idea about. Whew.






#1 I love April. She is one of those blog people that you want to meet in real life. Badly. April, please come visit New England. I think we can set you up with some architecture business.

#2 She wrote this post in HTML. Usually when I'm prepping the SGM2 posts, it takes me at least 20 minutes to get it all set up because I'm trying to place pictures and make it look decent. I just copied and pasted, and the pictures appeared in beautifully positioned spots...as if Harry Potter himself came and did it for me! Because she did this, I have time to write this before I go take a psych exam. 


#3 I thought about ending SGM2 a month or so back. But honestly, I've gotten so much interest and I personally love reading about all of the different couples out there, so if you are interested and you would like to be featured, please get in touch. If you had previously e-mailed me and I told you that I was no longer taking posts, please forgive me and e-mail me again! (Unless you're grumpy with me) I do indeed have plenty, but I would love to get an even bigger stash ready to go.

They ALSO Got Married!



6 comments:

  1. Love her!! I see exactly what you mean about checking our her blog everyday. I just spent quite a bit of time reading what she's come up with. Hilar!

    Also, I'm so glad you're keeping up with these posts. I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) love the post!

    2) please don't stop! I love reading these!!

    3) I would love to share our story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohooo, thanks sista! I love this idea of yours & had fun being a part of it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I am a huge fan of April's, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! And I'm totally jealous right now. Social networker? That's awesome. I wanna a gig like that!!

    xoxo, Ana :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...