Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Let me just say that given the choice over cake and ice cream, I will take the ice cream every single time.
To me, there is no better invention than the sweet-creamy-smooth-frozen goodness that is ice cream. Except....maybe....for good bread.


But before I go any further, hold on just one minute. LOOK at that picture. And tell me you're not experiencing disbelief at the fact that those scoops are in fact dairy free. I'm not sure I would believe it either. Most of our homemade batches of ice cream have turned out icy; they freeze into solid blocks within the first day.

But I was determined. I like knowing what goes into my food. And I like knowing that I'm eating something that is homemade. So a few minutes of googling, a quick jaunt to Whole Foods, and I was ready to go.

{ I must apologize for the lack of post pictures. The truth is that I was too darn excited. The quart was gone by the next morning. Poor Brett. }


Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Makes 8- 1/2C servings

-1 1/4 C Silk Creamer, Plain
-1 3/4 C So Delicious Coconut Milk, Plain and Unsweetened, divided
-3/4 C Sugar
-2 TBSP Arrowroot (You may be able to get away with cornstarch)
-1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
-3 TSP Peppermint Extract
-3/4 C Semi Sweet Mini Chips (I use Ghiradelli. They're perfect for this recipe)


1. In small bowl, combine arrowroot with 1/4 C coconut milk. Set aside
2. In medium saucepan, combine remaining coconut milk, creamer, and sugar, and cook over low heat.
3. When mixture just begins to boil, remove from heat and immediately stir in arrowroot mixture from step 1. **If you like a slight green tint to your ice cream, use 1 to 2 drops of food coloring in this stage. If you're a purist, skip this step!**
4. Add extracts (You can add more peppermint if you like a stronger mint flavor)
5. Allow mixture to cool in fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
6. Freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions. With my cuisinart, I let it run for 28 minutes.
7. In the last 2 minutes of freezing, slowly add in the chocolate chips.
8. Transfer mixture to PAPER container. I usually nicely ask the cashier at Whole Foods if I can grab some from the soup bar. These work best for freezing fresh ice cream.


Be sure to allow your ice cream to freeze before you scoop it. It's tempting to not wait, but it's so worth it to scoop it like it's a pint of Ben & Jerry's!

Per Serving: 235 calories, 10.4 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 38.7 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 1.7 g protein
Cost Per Serving: 68 cents*
*strictly an estimate based on prices in my area

This is a more pricey variation of ice cream because of peppermint extract and chocolate chips. If you these two things out, you'll have....vanilla! A touch cheaper and just as delicious.
Roo was keeping an eye on it. The second I turned around, she was ready to dive in. :)


2 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious!
    We got an ice cream maker for our wedding and I have yet to use it. I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...