Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Roo Prefers Pumps: My Journey to Caring Less About Things

This is Roo. Roo is my rescue mutt from Missouri and I think I am beyond in love with her. In this picture, Roo is sitting on an expensive rug that she likes to chew and bite and rip up. Honestly, I like the rug. I think it's fun. It was a gift from my mother-in-law and I think that may be why I get a slight twinge of ''uh-oh'' rush through me when I see Roo tearing the threads up. I also get slightly worried because it's probably not the best thing to be running through her belly. So I give her something else to focus on. But the truth is, it doesn't bother me at all that there are raised and worn areas of the rug from her incessant gnawing and chewing. I don't care that she chewed up my coffee table....(I only worry because  of the particle board splinters...again, I give her something else to focus on)....or that she chewed up a really cute pair of black pumps of mine. Actually, I think it's pretty adorable when she runs into our bedroom and comes back with a shoe to chew. 

I wasn't always this way. In fact, up until a couple years ago, I used to save things. Ridiculous things.  I would be going through a drawer of ....junk.....and I would find and attach different sentimental reasons as to why this particular marble/rubber band/throw-a-way coaster/pamphlet/colored paper clip needed to stay right where it was. I would hold on to endless amounts of clothing- jeans that no longer fit, sweaters that didn't look good on me, and things that I just simply never wore.

I'm different now. I went through a huge lifestyle change (faith, love, health, food, money) and now I can't clear my space fast enough.   It's so crazy to think that not long ago, I held on to these things  and let them take up actual space in my home and in my thoughts. So, every week on the day that I clean the apartment, I vow to get rid of at least five things to donate or to get rid of. This helps me not to go back to my old ways of saving and also keeps the apartment de-cluttered.  I'm still working on it, and I'm still paring down. Luckily, Roo is a great help.

1 comment:

  1. Roo is adorable! :) I think Scarlett and Roo would be great friends! I love this post. Now that it's getting a little chillier, I like to wear those grandma-looking trouser socks (haha) with my ballet flats. For some reason, I have such a hard time keeping track of them! Scarlett just grabbed one and I yelled, 'Hey! That is a very important sock!" Then I realized that I sounded like an idiot. Haha. Thanks for helping keep things in perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...