Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Tofu Squash Burgers


I know you're thinking that I'm asking too much of you.

I know that 'burger' conjures up images of HAMburgers, soft buns, special sauce, lettuce, pickles, soda -even in my head. (I do love a good boca on occasion).

But these aren't like hamburgers. No. Not one bit. They're tofu. With Squash.

Mm. Yum. Thanks, Emma. *Thumbs Up*

Brett stood behind me while I formed the patties.

"Emma...I just don't know...'' he was polite in his hesitancy.

"Trust me" I said.

Tofu Squash Burgers
Makes 6 patties

1/2 pound tofu -- crumbled
1 pound yellow squash -- grated
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1 small onion -- minced
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon oil

(Serves 3)

Mix all the ingredients (except oil) in a bowl. Form 6 patties and fry in
oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until brown on one side. Turn and
fry 5 minutes longer. Serve hot on whole wheat buns.

Per Serving (2 patties) 
: calories 247, Protein: 14g, carbohydrates: 30g, fat 10 g

This recipe was taken from this book. It's definitely a favorite of mine, as I'm always renewing it at the library. I think I might buy it.


I served the burgers over rustic bread (with lettuce/ketchup/onions- a creamy spread would be delicious!), with sweet potato french fries. Next time around, I would add in more spices. I'm not sure which ones, because I'm not a chef, so experimentation is the name of my game. Our salad had broccoli/cabbage slaw mixed in. It was a delightful meal and absolutely satisfying!

xo

3 comments:

  1. I was hesitant about the name of them (like your husband), but that picture is making me hungry... looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...the name is bad. I should call them Fried Happy Patties.

    I don't know.


    And, oh...the bees. It didn't come through on my e-mail, and I felt terrible because you took the time to send it. So, I'll try again. But thank you for sending it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no problem! It didn't take me long to send at all (I just copied and pasted them from the blog page, which is probably why you still couldn't see them-- same file type).

    Anyhoo, I have a flickr account where you can check them out! : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...